Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Technology in the classroom: Smart boards


Ok, so I just have to tell you: if you are not using your smart board in the classroom, you are missing out. I LOVE THIS BOARD. Today in class I did a lesson on how to do exponents and how to solve simple one and two step equations. The content of this lesson was based off a power point, which leads to a problem - I love to move around the room and I hate being stuck behind the desk, clicking through the presentation. Instead, I was moving around the room, coming and clicking the smart board to move forward a slide and better yet: getting kids to go click the board. Nothing gets my students more involved in the lesson than having them move to help the class! I feel like giving them this responsibility gets them more invested in the lesson and it means I am not trapped behind the computer or at the smart board!

The next crucial part of the smart board: when students did not understand how to do a problem, I could work the problem right on the smart board. This way, I am not constantly erasing or finding room. I also like to ask students to work problems with the smart board pens. Again, this is another way to get them moving (which we know is so important for this stage in adolescence) while also working math problems.
I also embedded a video into the power point and with the smart board, a single click activated the video: PERFECT!

All this to say: if you are not using your smart board, you should be! I've attached this video to help you get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment